Skip to Main Content

RN-BS Dual Enrollment for ADN Students


Can I enroll in RN-BS courses while I am an ADN student or prior to taking the NCLEX?

Yes!  Any of the following pre-licensure courses can be completed concurrently while you are enrolled in a regionally accredited associate degree program.

CoursePre-licensure CoursesCredits
HLTH 280Introduction to Statistical Methods for Health Sciences (if needed)3
NURS-RN 350Transitional Foundations (must be taken in the first semester)3
NURS-RN 392Nursing Research and Evidence-Based Practice 3
NURS-RN 422Care Coordination and Resource Management3
NURS-RN 428Nursing Roles in Health Aging2
(5 weeks)
Preparing for a Financially Savvy Career & Retirement or Palliative Care1
(5 weeks)
E-Learning Preparation for the RN (5 week elective)1

Are there any prerequisites?

Yes, just one. You will need to transfer in an eligible 3-credit statistics course or enroll in a statistics course during your first semester in RN-BS courses. View prerequisite information.

If your associates program will result in an ADN or AAS degree you may need other general education courses. Please contact an advisor for a transcript review.

Are there any summer courses available?

Yes. If your ADN is not a year-round program, taking RN-BS pre-licensure courses during the summer is a great way to earn credits toward your bachelor’s degree prior to completing your associate degree.

When do I need to take the NCLEX?

While you can take any of the pre-licensure courses prior to taking the NCLEX, there are several required courses that can only be taken by registered nurses. We strongly encourage you to sit for the NCLEX as soon as possible after completing your associate degree.

How do I decide if dual enrollment is a good option for me?

It’s important to consider whether concurrently enrolling in both an associate degree and bachelor’s degree completion program is right for you based upon your own goals, ADN credit load, and other family or work commitments. Therefore, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our friendly advisors. We can help you decide if this option is right for you. If it is, we can help you create a manageable schedule and suggest pre-licensure courses that complement your ADN program.

Candice Johnson, BA
RN-BS Advisor

Schedule a Phone or Office Appointment with Candice
Phone: 208-426-1727

About: Candice is committed to helping you navigate the application process and can provide a preliminary evaluation of your transcript. After you are admitted, call her for help setting up your schedule, choosing courses, and creating a graduation checklist!
Maura Rasmussen, Manager, RNBS Enrollment & AdvisingMaura Rasmussen, M.Ed
RN-BS Manager of Enrollment and Advising

Schedule a Phone or Office Appointment with Maura
Phone: 208-426-1768

About: Maura Rasmussen played an integral role in the development of the RN-BS Completion Track. She has guided hundreds of nursing students from admission to graduation and is frequently cited for her unparalleled commitment to helping her students.
Sandi Gregory, Student Services CoordinatorSandi Gregory, MA
Student Services Coordinator

Phone: 208-426-1714

About: With over ten years of experience in student services, Sandi creates tips and tools designed to enhance your RN-BS experience. She is focused on student success and retention be watching for surveys and announcements from Sandi.

RNBS_Apply Now Link ButtonHow do I apply as a dual enrollment student?

The application process is the same for dual enrollment students. The only difference is that instead of providing your RN license number when you apply, you will provide this number before enrolling in any courses that require licensure.  View application process.