Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Welcome to the Pre-Professional Studies Program

Pre-professional studies is designed for students who intend to apply to a professional school. This option serves students who have declared a major in pre-chiropractic, pre-dental, pre-dental hygiene, pre-dietetics, pre-medical laboratory science, pre-medicine, pre-occupational therapy, pre-optometry, pre-pharmacy, pre-physical therapy, pre-physician assistant, pre-speech-language pathology, or pre-veterinary medicine.

Students should seek regular counsel with the advisor who has been designated for his or her major field of interest.

Students need to be aware of deadlines established by professional schools and testing organizations. Admissions examinations, such as the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), Dental Admission Test (DAT), Optometry Admission Test (OAT), Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT), the Graduate Record Exam (GRE), etc…, must be taken at specific times. These examinations may or may not be administered on the Boise State campus. Deadlines for applying to professional schools vary yearly from school to school. Students are responsible for determining the specific deadlines and fees which pertain to their field of interest.

In addition to academic course work, pre-professional studies students have opportunities to work in a clinical environment and observe the practice and delivery of health care through arranged internships. Qualified students may register for an internship. These students work and study in a clinical environment with a practicing physician, dentist, veterinarian, etc… To register for an internship, students must have upper-division standing, cumulative GPA above 3.25, approval of their advisor, and consent of the instructor. See the course description for HLTHST 493 Internship. Students participating in clinically oriented internships will need to submit to a criminal background check at their own expense.

Information is available from advisors concerning state-supported tuition programs for qualified Idaho residents to attend professional schools outside the state of Idaho. These programs are:

  • WWAMI (Washington-Wyoming-Alaska-Montana-Idaho) for medical school with the University of Washington
  • Idaho contract with the University of Utah for medical school
  • IDEP (Idaho Dental Education Program) for dental school
  • WIMU (Washington-Idaho-Montana-Utah) for veterinary medicine school with Washington State University