The AGNP Certificates are for practicing Nurse Practitioners seeking to expand their scope of practice to Acute Care Primary Care Adult Gerontology.
Before Applying, Please NoteAGNP graduate certificates are available to nurse practitioners licensed to practice in Arizona, California, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming. All clinical rotations must be completed in one of these states.
- A valid, unencumbered RN license issued by a state or territory of the United States
- A valid, unencumbered NP license issued by a state or territory of the United States.
- National board certification (AANP, ANCC) allowing practice as a nurse practitioner.
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from a CCNE or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited nursing program.
- A master’s degree in nursing from a CCNE or ACEN (formerly NLNAC) accredited nursing program.
- A GPA of at least 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) from your graduate degree program.
- English proficiency (written and spoken).
- Functional abilities essential for nursing practice, as outlined by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN), including:
- Ability to see, hear and touch, smell and distinguish colors.
- Oral and writing ability with accuracy, clarity and efficiency.
- Manual dexterity, gross and fine movements.
- Ability to learn, think critically, analyze, assess, solve problems, and reach judgements.
- Emotional stability and ability to accept responsibility and accountability.
The AGNP Graduate Certificate programs begin in May (summer semester) and applications are accepted year-round (rolling admission). However, we make the first admission decisions for applicants who meet our priority deadline of February 1.
There are two options to complete the application process. You can Direct Apply to Boise State using the instructions below, or you can use NursingCAS, a fee-based centralized application service.
HOW TO MONITOR YOUR APPLICATION STATUS
The AGNP program will communicate with you about your application status and admission decision. To facilitate timely communication, please update the School of Nursing immediately if your address, phone number, or email address changes.
Please remember, admission to Boise State’s Graduate College is required, but admission to the Graduate College does not guarantee admission to the AGNP Program.
At any stage during the application process, you can also log in to your Graduation College application account and check the status of your application to confirm that official transcripts have been received, that all supporting documents have been uploaded, and verify that your references have submitted an evaluation form.
PLEASE NOTE: Missing documentation or information will delay the review of your application.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: NursingCAS is a centralized, fee-based application service that provides a process for applying to multiple schools. If you apply via NursingCAS, you will still complete the Graduate College Application, but you will upload your supporting documents and send your official transcripts to NursingCAS. NursingCAS will not release your application materials to Boise State until:
- You input all of your college level coursework into NursingCAS.
- NursingCAS receives all of your official transcripts.
If NursingCAS determines that additional information or correction is required, please respond to NursingCAS to avoid delays in the release (and review) of your application by Boise State.
HOW TO MONITOR YOUR APPLICATION STATUS
Once you have submitted your AGNP Application via NursingCAS and submitted the NursingCAS payment, you will be able to use the Quick Status Menu in NursingCAS to verify receipt of your Transcript(s), Reference(s), or Payment(s) and to view the program(s) you have applied to (click on the Designations option) or to view your NursingCAS generated GPA, click on GPA Calculations.
Nurse licensing requirements are dynamic. Beyond the foundational Nurse Practitioner educational requirements, Boise State University cannot guarantee that the coursework associated with the AGNP Graduate Certificate Program will fulfill all current licensure conditions in your state. Please seek guidance from state agencies to identify any supplemental materials or education that will be essential to fulfill licensure requirements in the state where you will practice.
All applicants who attended nursing school outside of the United States or United States territories must meet all application requirements above AND comply with the following from the Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) and provide an academic review to Boise State University:
- Credentials review
- Qualifying examination of nursing knowledge
- English proficiency exam
- Graduate College Application Fee for international students is $95.
For more information contact Commission of Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS)
Questions about the application process?
If you have questions about the application process, or would like to discuss your academic and professional goals, please don’t hesitate to contact us.