Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology
Conger’s primary research interest is in the application of objective methods to assess physical activity using varies types of physical activity monitors. His research has been published in eight different journals including British Journal of Sports Medicine and Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.
In his spare time, he enjoys cycling with his wife, Summer.
Ph.D. – 2011: University of Tennessee (Exercise Physiology)
M.S. – 2001: University of Tennessee (Exercise Physiology)
B.A. – 1998: University of Arkansas, Little Rock (Psychology)
- ACSM Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (Cert # 3984)
- ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist (Cert # 14596)
- American Red Cross CPR – Professional Rescuer
- Objective assessment of physical activity
- Nutritional ergogenic aids for exercise performance
- Conger, S.A., S.N. Scott, E.C. Fitzhugh, D.L. Thompson, and D.R. Bassett, Jr. Validity of physical activity monitors for estimating energy expenditure during wheelchair propulsion. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 12(11): 1520-1526, 2015.
- Bassett, D.R., D. John, S.A. Conger, E.C. Fitzhugh, and D.P. Coe. Trends in physical activity and sedentary behaviors in U.S. youth. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 12(8): 1102-1111, 2015.
- Bassett, D.R., D. John, S.A. Conger, B.C. Rider, R.M. Passmore, and J.M. Clark. Detection of lying down, sitting, standing, and stepping using two activPAL monitors. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 46(10): 2025-2029, 2014.
- Welch, W.A., D.R. Bassett, P.S. Freedson, D. John, J.A. Steeves, S.A. Conger, T.G. Ceaser, C.A. Howe, and J.E. Sasaki. Cross-validation of wrist-worn GENEA accelerometer cut-points. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 46(9): 1825-1830, 2014.
- Conger, S.A., S.N. Scott, and D.R. Bassett, Jr. Predicting energy expenditure through hand rim propulsion power output in individuals who use wheelchairs. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 48(13): 1048-1053, 2014.
- Flynn, J.I., D.P. Coe, C. Larsen, B.C. Rider, S.A. Conger, and D.R. Bassett, Jr. Detecting indoor and outdoor environments using the ActiGraph GT3X+ in children. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 46(1): 201-206, 2014.
- Welch, W.A., D.R. Bassett, D.L. Thompson, P.S. Freedson, J.W. Staudenmayer, D. John, J.A. Steeves, S.A. Conger, T. Ceaser, C.A. Howe, J.E. Sasaki, and E.C. Fitzhugh. Classification accuracy of the wrist-worn gravity estimator of normal everyday activity accelerometer. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 45(10): 2012-2019, 2013.
- Bassett, D.R. Jr., R.C. Browning, S.A. Conger, D.L. Wolff, and J.I. Flynn. Architectural design and physical activity: an observational study of staircase and elevator use in different buildings. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 10(4): 556-562, 2013.
- Conger, S.A. and D.R. Bassett, Jr. A compendium of energy costs of physical activities for individuals who use manual wheelchairs. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly. 28: 310-325, 2011.
- Conger, S.A., G.L. Warren, M.A. Hardy, and M.L. Millard-Stafford. Carbohydrate plus caffeine versus carbohydrate: additional ergogenic benefit? International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. 21: 71-84, 2011.
Courses Currently Taught
- KINES 330 Exercise Physiology
- KINES 331 Laboratory for Exercise Physiology
- KINES 510 Physiology of Activity
- KINES 580 Sports Nutrition