Assistant Professor, Department of Kinesiology
Conger’s primary research interest is in the application of objective methods to assess physical activity using varies types of physical activity monitors. In recent years, his research has focused on developing and improving on methods of assessing resistance training exercise using wrist-worn activity monitors.
Ph.D. – 2011: University of Tennessee (Exercise Physiology)
M.S. – 2001: University of Tennessee (Exercise Physiology)
B.A. – 1998: University of Arkansas, Little Rock (Psychology)
- ACSM Certified Clinical Exercise Physiologist (Cert # 3984)
- ACSM Certified Exercise Physiologist (Cert # 14596)
- American Red Cross CPR – Professional Rescuer
- Objective assessment of physical activity
- Nutritional ergogenic aids for exercise performance
- Dobbs, T.J., S.R. Simonson, and S.A. Conger. Improving power output in older adults using plyometrics in a body mass-supported treadmill. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. 32(9): 2458-2465, 2018.
- Coe, D.P., S.A. Conger, J.M. Kendrick, B.C. Howard, D.L. Thompson, D.R. Bassett, Jr., and J.D. White. Effect of walking on glucose levels in women with gestational diabetes mellitus. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 43(5): 531-534, 2018.
- Montoye, A.H.K., S.A. Conger, C.P. Connolly, M.S. Tuttle, M.B. Nelson, J.M. Bock, and L.A. Kaminsky. Validation of accelerometer-based energy expenditure prediction models in structured and simulated free-living settings. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science. 21(4): 223-234, 2017.
- Conger, S.A., J. Guo, S.M. Fulkerson, L. Pedigo, H. Chen, and D.R. Bassett, Jr. Objective assessment of strength training exercises using a wrist-worn accelerometer. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 48(9): 1847-1855, 2016.
- Sasaki, J.E., C. Howe, D. John, A. Hickey, J. Steeves, S. Conger, K. Lyden, S. Kozey-Keadle, S. Burkart, S. Alhassan, D. Bassett, Jr., and P.S. Freedson. Energy expenditure for 70 activities in children and adolescents. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 13(Suppl 1): S24-S28, 2016.
- Conger, S.A. Training for Performance. In: E.T. Howley and D.L. Thompson (eds) Fitness Professional’s Handbook, 7th ed. Human Kinetics: Champaign, IL. (pp. 313-326), 2016.
- Conger, S.A., S.N. Scott, E.C. Fitzhugh, D.L. Thompson, and D.R. Bassett, Jr. Validity of physical activity monitors for estimating energy expenditure during wheelchair propulsion. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 12(11): 1520-1526, 2015.
- Bassett, D.R., D. John, S.A. Conger, E.C. Fitzhugh, and D.P. Coe. Trends in physical activity and sedentary behaviors in U.S. youth. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 12(8): 1102-1111, 2015.
- Bassett, D.R., D. John, S.A. Conger, B.C. Rider, R.M. Passmore, and J.M. Clark. Detection of lying down, sitting, standing, and stepping using two activPAL monitors. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise. 46(10): 2025-2029, 2014.
- Conger, S.A., S.N. Scott, and D.R. Bassett, Jr. Predicting energy expenditure through hand rim propulsion power output in individuals who use wheelchairs. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 48(13): 1048-1053, 2014.
Courses Currently Taught
- KINES 330 Exercise Physiology and Laboratory
- KINES 332 Nutrition in Exercise and Sport
- KINES 506 Sports Nutrition
- KINES 510 Physiology of Activity