Department Chair and Associate Professor, Department of Kinesiology
In attempt to contribute to the fields of athletic training and neuroscience, McChesney has investigated questions related to human postural control, proprioception, and rehabilitation and has published in noteworthy journals such as Experimental Brain Research, the Journal of Gerontology, the Journal of Athletic Training as well as the European Journal of Hand Surgery. While his duties are now focused on administration, McChesney maintains an active line of inquiry in neuroscience and continues to engage in creative writing.
McChesney resides in the nearby city of Eagle with his wife Brandi and their two children, Shirley and Jack.
Ph.D. – 1996: University of Oregon (Neuromuscular Control/Neuroscience)
M.A. – 1984: Western Michigan University (Athletic Training)
B.A. – 1982: California State University, Chico (Physical Education)
- Nationally Certified Athletic Trainer (BOC# 000070273)
- Idaho Licensed Athletic Trainer (IBOM# AT-239)
The somatosensory contributions to motor performance and orthopedic rehabilitation.
- Hammons, D., McChesney, J.W., Curtin, M., Pfeiffer, R.., & Thiede, K. (2015) A Randomized and Blinded Study for the Treatment of Glenohumeral Internal Rotation Range of Motion Restriction: The Prone-Passive Stretching Technique. Journal of Sports Medicine and Allied Health Sciences. 1 (2) 1-9.
- DeBeliso, M., McChesney, J.W. & Murdock, L.E. (2013) Grip norms and reliability of the hand grip ForceMap system. Journal of Hand Surgery, European Volume, 6, 4-7.
- McChesney, J.W., DeBeliso, M. & Murdock. L.E. (2012) Clinical Orthopedic Device Innovation: The Anchored Ankle Brace & Full Leg Support System. International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations. 1 (11) 30-32.
- McChesney, J.W., DeBeliso, M. & Murdock, L.E. (2012) The Hand Grip ForceMAP System. International Journal of Science and Engineering Investigations. 1 (8) 76-78.
- Ford, P., McChesney, J.W. (2007) Duration of maintained hamstring ROM following termination of three stretching protocols. Journal of Sport Rehabilitation. 16, 18-27.
- Halseth, T., McChesney, J.W., DeBeliso, M., Vaughn, R., & Lien, J. (2003) The Effects of Kinesio TapingTM on proprioception at the ankle. Journal of Sports Science and Medicine. 3, 1-7.
- McChesney, J.W. (2002). Balance testing benefits older adult athletes. Biomechanics. 9, (3), 29-37.
- McChesney, J.A. & McChesney, J.W. (2001). Auscultation of the chest and abdomen by athletic trainers. The Journal of Athletic Training. 36, 190-196.
- McChesney, J.W. & Woollacott, M.H. (2000). The effect of age related declines in proprioception and TKR on postural control. The Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences. 55A, M658-M666.
- McChesney, J.W., Sveistrup, H., & Woollacott, M.H. (1996). Influence of auditory precuing on automatic postural responses. Experimental Brain Research. 108, 315-320.
Courses Currently Taught
- KINES 324 Athletic Injury Evaluation