Professor and Co-Director of the K-12 Physical Education Program, Department of Kinesiology
1996- Ed.D., Physical Education–Pedagogy, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley, CO Dissertation: Analysis of physical activity determinants in young adolescents
1985- M.A., Physical Education, New Mexico Highlands University, Las Vegas, NM Thesis: Effects of using a proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation technique on partner versus individual hamstring stretch
1984- B.S., Double Major: Physical Education and Health Education. Double Minor: Athletic Training and Coaching, St. Cloud State University, St. Cloud, MN
- American Red Cross First Aid/CPR
- Certified Athletic Trainer – Retired
- Physical activity and physical fitness
- Teaching methods and pedagogy
Shimon, J.M., Johnson, T., Moorcroft, S., & Bell, K. (2013). Fitness and Enjoyment Outcomes of a 9th Grade Physical Education Fitness Conditioning Curriculum. Journal of Kinesiology and Wellness, 2.
Bell, K., Johnson, T., Shimon, J., & Bale, J. (2013). The effects of Game Size on the Physical Activity Levels and Ball Touches of Elementary School Children in Physical Education. Journal of Kinesiology and Wellness, 2.
Simonson, S.R., Shimon, J.M. Long, E.M., & Lester, B. (2011). Effects of a walking program using the AlterG treadmill system on an extremely obese female: A case study. Clinical Kinesiology, 65(2), 29-38.
Shimon, J.M., Darden, G.F., Martinez, R., & Clouse-Snell, J. (2010). Initial reliability and validity of the lift-and-raise hamstring test. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 24(2), 517-521.
Shimon, J.M., & Petlichkoff, L.M. (2009). Impact of pedometer use and self-regulation strategies on junior high school physical education students’ daily step counts. Journal of Physical Activity and Health, 6, 1-8.
Shimon, J.M. (2006). In the shadow of obesity: The female triad. Journal of Physical Education, Recreation, and Dance, 77 (6), 4-5, 54.
Courses Currently Taught
- KINES 102 Instructional Tennis
- KINES 103 Instructional Indoor Racket Activities
- KINES 115 Instructional Recreational Games
- KINES 251 Introduction to Teaching Physical Education
- KINES 445 Secondary School Health Methods and Administration
- KINES 451/452 Secondary School Physical Education Methods and Field Experience
- KINES 455 Organization and Administration of Physical Education