Skip to Main Content
Mobile Menu

Advising Frequently Asked Questions

What can I do with a major in Kinesiology?

Athletic Training students learn about care and prevention of injuries to athletes. The program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education. Completion of this program prepares graduates to sit for the Board of Certification (BOC) national certification examination.

Exercise Science includes three emphasis areas. The Biomechanics Emphasis develops an understanding of the mechanical principals of human movement in sports and exercise. It is designed to prepare students for graduate study in Biomechanics, biomedical engineering, or ergonomics.

The emphasis area in Exercise Physiology focuses on the scientific principles of training and exercise. This degree is designed to prepare students for graduate study in exercise physiology.  This area of emphasis continues to serve as an appropriate credential to prepare students for admission into professional programs of study in physical therapy, occupational therapy, and physician’s assistant.

The Fitness Evaluation and Programming Emphasis is designed to prepare students with knowledge and competencies to conduct fitness programs in corporate, hospital, commercial, and public agency settings. Completion of this program will prepare graduates for the American College of Sports Medicine or National Strength and Conditioning Association certification exams and for careers in fitness evaluation and programming.

Health Education and Promotion helps individuals and communities facilitate optimal health through increasing knowledge, changing behaviors, and creating environments that support positive health practices. Students work in a wide variety of settings and are eligible for the National Certified Health Education Specialist (CHES) exam.

K-12 Physical Education students develop the knowledge, skills, and dispositions essential for success in teaching physical education in the elementary and secondary schools. Candidates who complete this program meet the Idaho Beginning Teacher Standards and are eligible for recommendation for state teaching certification.

What is the best way to get in touch with a Kinesiology Advisor?

Phone numbers, office locations, and email addresses of all Kinesiology Departmental advisors are listed on the advisor list page.

As a transfer student, who should I contact to get help?

You should contact a departmental advisor. Seek advice from the advisor who has been assigned to your major. If you are seeking advising in the summer or during holiday breaks, it is best to seek out the Central Advisor for more information.

I am a transfer student and would like to see if my previous coursework will count toward a Boise State University Kinesiology degree. What should I do?

Contact the Central Advisor for the Department of Kinesiology. The advisor will review your external credit report, transcripts from your previous institution(s), and a course description for all courses you wish to petition to count toward your Kinesiology Degree. Courses taken outside the Kinesiology Department must be approved by the Department Chair of the Department where the course would best fit i.e. Biology courses must be approved by the Biology Department.  *IMPORTANT–decisions regarding transfer courses are made at the time of admission to the university by transcript evaluators in the Registrar’s Office.

I am a certified teacher and wish to pursue an endorsement in Physical Education or Health?

Check the Idaho State Department of Education website. There is information about select courses needed to obtain any endorsement, not just physical education and health. Next, check the course catalog for the semester you wish to enroll. Also call the department and ask for the course offering sheet that delineates courses offered over the next few years. Lastly, schedule an appointment with the Chair of Kinesiology to confirm that the classes you propose to take would count toward your desired endorsement.

I received a degree in physical education, exercise science, or health promotion and now would like to obtain a teaching certificate?

Obtain a copy of your college transcript(s) and arrange a meeting with the Kinesiology Chair. You will have two options: pursue a second baccalaureate degree, or pursue a masters degree that results in a teacher certification. Typically pursuing a masters degree is the recommended choice because you will become highly qualified and it will increase your teaching salary. Regardless of your choice, you will have to pass ED TECH 202 (and the Educational Technology exam), and receive a passing score on the PRAXIS I writing examination.

I am a first year (freshman) student enrolling in the Kinesiology program at Boise State University. What courses should I take?

First year students should examine the recommended courses for their specific major, check the course schedule, and register for courses. Some courses may be closed so a few alternatives should be selected. It is important to use the Program Requirements form for your major found on the Kinesiology Department website under List of Undergraduate Programs. Below, please find a list of recommended courses for first year Kinesiology Majors.

Recommended First Year Courses For Kinesiology Majors:

  • English Composition (select an appropriate English course: ENGL 90, ENGL 101, ENGL 102)
  • Disciplinary Lens courses for Literature and Humanities (DLL), and Visual and Performing Arts (DLV) (see “Foundational Studies Program” in the Boise State University Undergraduate Catalog, and refer to the Program Requirements form for your major found on the Kinesiology Department website under List of Undergraduate Programs)
  • KINES 101, 112, 140
  • BIOL 227
  • MATH 143 (or MATH 25 or MATH 108, if required; see “Mathematics Requirement” in the Boise State University Undergraduate Catalog)

Course Selection Notes

  • K-12 Physical Education Majors should take ED TECH 202 during their first year AND pass the PRAXIS I Writing Exam.
  • Health Education and Promotion Majors may have different requirements.

What do I need to do to secure an internship?