- Pre-Nursing Requirements
If you are majoring in pre-nursing at Boise State, we encourage you to meet with an academic advisor to create a semester-by-semester plan of study that includes all prerequisite and general education courses. In general, it takes 3-4 semesters to complete pre-nursing courses. Boise State pre-nursing majors are strongly encouraged to complete UF 100, UF 200 and one 3-credit DLV elective to meet general education requirements before starting the nursing program.
- View Pre-Nursing Plan of Study Worksheet and Sample Schedule.
- Schedule an appointment with your Academic Advisor.
Information for Transfer Students
If you complete the required pre-nursing coursework at another school, please review the following before you apply to the nursing program:
- Use the Transfer Equivalency System (TES) tool to confirm that the courses you take/have taken at another school are eligible to transfer to Boise State and that they meet pre-nursing requirements.
- Confirm with a transfer or academic advisor that you meet required general education course requirements.
- Apply to Boise State for admission as a transfer student prior to submitting your application to the nursing program and consult with an academic advisor to confirm that you meet all pre-nursing requirements.
Information for 2nd Bachelor Degree Seeking Students
Applicants to the nursing program who have already earned a bachelor’s degree and are applying to complete a 2nd degree in nursing should review their transcripts with an academic advisor. It is important to determine which courses from a previous degree(s) meet pre-nursing course requirements and whether additional prerequisites must be completed before applying to the nursing program.
Kaplan Nursing Admission Exam
New Application Requirement - Effective for Spring 2019 Cohort
The Kaplan Nursing Admission Exam will be required to apply to the nursing program for applicants applying August 1 – September 15, 2018 for admission to the Spring 2019 cohort. Additional information on where and when to take the Kaplan exam will be available by the end of the Spring 2018 semester.
Grade and GPA Requirements
- Applicants to the Bachelor of Science nursing program must earn a grade of C (2.00) or above in all pre-nursing courses.
- Applicants must have a cumulative college GPA of 3.00.
Pre-Nursing Course Requirements
Some pre-nursing courses may be in progress when a student applies to the nursing program, but most required courses must be completed before applying. View course descriptions for the following courses in the Boise State catalog.
Courses to Complete Prior to Applying to the Nursing Program
The following courses must be completed with a grade of C (2.00) or better in each course before submitting an application to the nursing program.
- ENGL 101 Introduction to College Writing
- ENGL 102 Intro to College Writing and Research
- PSYC 101 General Psychology
- BIOL 227 Human Anatomy & Physiology
- BIOL 228 Human Anatomy & Physiology II
- CHEM 101/101L Intro to Inorganic Chemistry and Lab
or CHEM 111/111L General Chemistry and Lab
- HLTHST 207 Nutrition
- MATH 254 Introduction to Statistics
Courses that may be In Progress Upon Applying
The following courses may be complete or in progress when you apply to the nursing program. If you are accepted to the nursing program, your admission will be conditional pending verification that your final grade in each course is a of C (2.00) or above.
- BIOL 205 Introductory Microbiology
- HLTHST 300 Pathophysiology
- SOC 101 (Introduction to Sociology) or 102 (Social Problems) or 230 (Introduction to Ethnic Studies)