Providing Educational Excellence
The Department of Community and Environmental Health faculty and staff welcomes you to our homepage.
Students in our department may choose undergraduate studies in environmental and occupational health, health science studies, pre-professional studies, or a minor in addictions studies. In addition, the department offers graduate education programming leading to a master of health science degree or a graduate certificate in addiction studies, gerontology, or health services leadership. Students are encouraged to work closely with an advisor to facilitate degree, minor, or certificate completion.
The Mission of the Department of Community and Environmental Health is to contribute to the enhancement of human health and the environment through educational programs, research, and community service.
Student Learning Outcomes
Learning outcomes shared by all of the academic programs offered through the Department include:
- Demonstrate an awareness of factors impacting human health, such as, nutrition, disease mechanisms, drug use and abuse, aging, access to health care, communication with providers, and environmental conditions.
- Understand the essential components and issues facing the United States’ health care delivery and public and environmental health systems.
- Understand the fundamentals of ethics and health law and the impact they have on health care providers, public health professionals, consumers, and institutions.
- Demonstrate oral communication skills required in health related work settings and graduate and professional programs.
- Demonstrate written communication skills required in health related work settings and graduate and professional programs.
- Utilize critical thinking skills to analyze and evaluate health related information.
- Demonstrate the use of computer software for word processing, presentations, and basic data analysis needed to conduct and report health related research.
Community and Environmental Health Scholarship Application – Due March 3rd, 2014 – Now Available